“No-shows” have been a part of labor since the beginning of time when the first caveman neighbor didn’t show up to help his caveman buddy move. Despite every attempt by human resource managers, plant managers and temporary companies to eliminate “no-shows”, inevitably, alarms don’t go off, kids get sick and cars break down. The problem is that in industrial staffing there are situations in manufacturing, construction, packaging, etc. where “no-shows” can halt or slow production, negate contracts, cause injuries and cost companies millions of dollars.
Despite their best attempts, traditional temporary to permanent (temp to perm) staffing companies have difficulty filling industrial positions for the exact same reasons HR managers do. They rely on the temporary employee to: wake up on time, have no personal problems or sickness, have a car that starts and make it to work on time. Another problem is that temporary workers often get multiple job offers from multiple agencies. They may be heading out the door to go to a temporary job when they get a call from a competing agency telling them about a better position. Some will keep their commitment, others will not leading to a “no-show.”
Fortunately for those involved in industrial staffing (i.e. manufacturing, construction, packaging, food production, warehousing, etc.), there is another alternative, full-service temporary staffing agencies. Full-service agencies offer all the same services as traditional temporary employment companies coupled with several competitive advantages that allow them to eliminate industrial “no-shows”.
Some of those advantages include:
- Similar to temp to perm staffing companies, temporary labor halls can typically be found in every major city in America. However, unlike their temp to perm staffing competitors who typically operate Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., full-service temporary employment agencies open their doors as early as 5:00 a.m. or earlier and their management and services are available 24/7/365.
- Temp to perm staffing companies do not see the temporary employee before they go to their customer. Consequently, they don’t know they have a “no-show” until they receive a call from their customer telling them the temporary employee has not arrived. Full-service temporary agencies screen and dispatch in person not by phone. This allows the manager to ensure that each temporary employee is on-time, dressed appropriately including safety equipment, has a positive attitude and is a good fit for the customer (again, something that can’t be done over the phone). Additionally, the manager of the full-service agency can guarantee their customers’ orders are filled because they have the workers in front of them as the orders are placed.
- Full service temporary agencies may also provide transportation to and from the job site. Again, this helps to eliminate “no-shows”, improve punctuality and remove additional vehicles from the customer’s parking lot.
The bottom line is that if you are responsible for the hiring of industrial workers for your company, the services and advantages offered by a full-service temporary staffing agency can help eliminate your headaches and “no-shows” at the same time. To find a full-service agency near you, use your favorite internet search engine and type “temporary labor” along with the city where you need help. When contacting agencies, remember to ask the following:,
- Are you a full-service agency that can guarantee Zero “No-Shows”?
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you and your services available 24/7 to handle unforeseen spikes in production and last-minute, late-night and weekend orders?
- What time do you open your doors in the morning?
- Do you see the worker before they come to me so you can make sure they are on time and have a good attitude?
- Can you provide transportation in the event that it is needed?
- Can you give me a long list of customer referrals I can contact?